Sowing Seeds

Growing writers, growing teachers, growing myself.

We Still have Nothing to Eat

March10

Groceries.

Ugh.

Shopping for groceries is not so bad when you’re a person who is on top of things by having a list. 

I am usually NOT that person.

I try, though.  I really do.

I go in spurts of sitting down on Saturday morning with my chai tea and cookbooks and pen and paper,  and do really well at planning a menu for the week’s meals, and then formulating a list of needed items after cross-referencing the necessary ingredients with my pantry.  Being that prepared gives me such a good feeling. 

The problem is, life gets in the way, and my planning streak comes to an abrupt halt.

More often than not, I find myself wandering down the aisles trying to come up with a decent variety of meals off the top of my head and trying to visualize if there really is sour cream in the refrigerator or not.

Or,  I find myself in the produce section wondering if the wifi signal is strong enough for me to search Pinterest for a recipe. Yes, I have attempted this.  It’s not an efficient use of time or phone battery.

Today was one of these typical shopping excursions.  No pre-planning, but boy did I create a yummy mental menu while I was at the store.  I visited all the aisles and gathered the needed ingredients.  After filling my cart and standing in the check out line for 15 minutes, I had the task complete and headed for home.

I put away all of my groceries and realized I didn’t have cream cheese for the ravioli sauce for Sunday’s meal. I didn’t have oranges for Monday’s meal.  I didn’t have fresh basil for Tuesday’s meal.

This, people, is why you make a list.

I need to be more on top of things.

Ugh.

by posted under Daily Life, Slice of Life | 4 Comments »    
4 Comments to

“We Still have Nothing to Eat”

1. March 10th, 2013 at 3:00 pm       Jules Says:

This I know! I have great intentions, might even get all the ingredients, and then make all sorts of other meals instead of the planned ones, and always there is that left out thing. This captured me and held me in every aisle. I was there with you – awesome detailing.

2. March 10th, 2013 at 4:36 pm       elsie Says:

I do try to plan my meals, then create the list, but the problem is when I don’t get to the recipe soon. Then I tend to forget why did I buy that ingredient or I can no longer find the recipe. I just wish I didn’t have to plan meals.

3. March 10th, 2013 at 4:43 pm       Delilah Says:

You are not alone! I have done the same things so many times and I live far enough away for a return trip to be inconvenient. You would think we would learn!

4. March 10th, 2013 at 9:34 pm       Marika Says:

I shop online for my groceries. Mostly from a list. I am lucky to live in a city where I can pick up last minute stuff across the street! But I really identify with the ” now I’m organized, now I’m not”! Life is all ebbs and flows. It’s taken me 37 years to be okay and stop beating myself up about it! (But it’s still frustrating sometimes! 😉

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar