Sowing Seeds

Growing writers, growing teachers, growing myself.

Tender Moment

March9

I could see it in her eyes the moment I picked her up from the sitter’s.  Droopy, watery, puffy eyes. A bit of redness around the lids.  All the tell-tale signs of a girl not feeling well.  From across the street, we saw Grandma beckoning us to come over to her house.  “Yea,” was her response to my suggestion of visiting Grandma for a minute, but there was none of the usual excitement in her voice.

Typically when we’re at Grandma, Karisa is so excited to be there, she doesn’t want me to stay.  She’s all hugs and kisses in Grandma’s arms and then she’s off to the toy room.  Today, however, she sat on her stool at the counter, her head rested on her hands.  “Let’s go home, Mommy,” she interjected into the conversation I was having with my Mother-in-Law.  Not typical at all.

Once home, she was ready to put on jammies.  It was only 5:30. “Momma, my nose isn’t smelling right.”  She was quite stuffy.  I could hear it in her voice and I’m only “Momma” when she’s feeling puny.  I gave her a bit of “nose medicine” and she settled in on a beanbag with Rabbit (also dressed in p.j.’s) to watch a movie while I made dinner.  Typically a very good eater, my Little Peach just picked at the food on her plate.

Typically, we bound down the stairs to play games after dinner until bedtime. Blink, Zingo, Mancala.  But tonight, she asked, “Momma, can we just snuggle tonight?” My heart melted. “Yes, Baby. We can snuggle.” So we did. And while I feel so bad for my Little One when she doesn’t feel well, I just love these tender moments she folds herself into me, her head on my shoulder, our arms wrapped tightly around each other.  I love these tender moments when we can be still and just be.

by posted under Karisa, Slice of Life | 4 Comments »    
4 Comments to

“Tender Moment”

1. March 9th, 2011 at 9:26 pm       MaryHelen Says:

I love your snuggling moment. I get to do that when we watch movies, although I’m usually housing a head in my lap or long legs that have stretched the length of the couch. No matter what, it’s the touch that counts. I hope she feels better.
    Great interjections of conversation with narrative to create the setting. Excellent. :)MaryHelen

2. March 9th, 2011 at 10:00 pm       Kim Says:

You painted a vivid picture of your sweet moments with your sweet girl. I wonder if you’ll get more snuggle time, along with a sick day tomorrow.

3. March 9th, 2011 at 10:59 pm       Michelle Rohrer Says:

Kari,

So sweet and simple. I hope she’s feeling better soon.

-Michelle

4. March 10th, 2011 at 9:39 am       Heather Says:

Oh. The kind of love story every little girl and her mother should experience. So glad you have those moments. So often, little cherubs just want to be independent and not appear to ‘need’ their Momma’s. Adorable. Hope she gets well soon. Enjoy the cuddles.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar